Are you struggling to take a screenshot on a Mac? Then let it be the last time you find it challenging. Because today you are going to learn on ways of capturing screenshots on Mac.
Why do you need a screenshot?
Screenshots are necessary when guiding someone on how to use a tool. Additionally, when you want to capture some information for later use.
What you should know is that Mac doesn’t come with a screenshot key. So, if you were using Windows in the past, things now are different.
That’s why I have dedicated time to inform you about ways you can use to capture a screenshot on Mac.
Ways to Capture a Screenshot on a Mac
Mac acknowledges that users may want to capture the whole screen or a portion of the screen. That’s why you will learn how to take these two types of screenshots.
How to Capture the Whole Screen
- Instantaneously press Shift + Command + 3.
Doing this will save the screenshot as a file, however, if you want it to be on the clipboard.
- Press Shift + Command + 3 + Control at once.
Capturing a Portion of Your Screen
At times you may need to obtain a portion of your screen. But is it possible on Mac? Yes, here is how to take such a screenshot.
- Press Shift + Command + 4The target icon will pop-up.
- Using the mouse select the region to be captured.
When you release the mouse, the screenshot will be captured.
Screenshot of a Window or Menu
When you want to screenshot a window or menu on Mac, uses these keys.
- Shift + Command + 4 + Spacebar
- A camera icon will appear.
- Drag the camera icon to the region using the mouse and release it for it to be saved.
NB: In case you don’t want to save the screenshot as a file, but on the clipboard. Press the keys + Control.
How to Take a screenshot on macOS Mojave
There is another method you can use to capture screenshots for those who own macOS Mojave and above.
- Simultaneously press Command + Shift + 5
- After that, you will see these commands. Capture the entire screen, Capture the selected window, Capture a portion, record the whole screen, or record the chosen part.
- Before you take the screenshot, go to options, and decide where the screenshots will be saved.
- For example, capture the entire screen and select Capture.
Tools to Capture Screenshots on Mac
As a user, you may prefer to use third-party tools to help you in taking screenshots. If you thought they don’t exist, then here are the best tools.
Take screenshots on macOS using Grab. It is an app that enables you to capture.
- The whole screen
- A portion of a screen
- A Window
- Touch bar
To open Grab press Command + Shift + G.
How to Use Grab
With Grab, you can use keyboard shortcuts. Here is a list of hotkeys you can use.
- Whole Screen – Command + 3
- Portion of a screen – Command + 4
- Window – Command + 5
- Touch bar – Option + Command + 6
Whether you want to capture or record your screen, the CleanShot X is another tool you can use.
CleanShot X enables you to annotate, align, resize and set a timer when capturing a screenshot.
It is made from Mac. To download it, visit cleanshot.
Lightshot is a lightweight tool that you can download and install in Mac.
To capture screenshots using Lightshot, press these keys.
- Shift + Command + 9
Where to Locate Screenshots on Mac
Now that you have known how to capture screenshots on Mac. It is time to get to know they are stored.
On default, they are saved on the desktop. However, for those using macOS Mojave and above, it is possible to change the location.
From now forward, taking screenshots on Mac will be an easy process. In case you undergo any challenges feel free to contact us by leaving a comment.
Also Read: Best Antivirus for iOS