Did you, by mistake, delete files on Mac? Then for your information, you can retrieve the data fast and easily.
In today’s guide, you are going to learn how to restores deleted files on Mac. There are two methods you can use.
- Recover without a software
- Recover with a software
In case you delete a crucial file such as your resume or pictures from your macOS device, use these methods to restore the file(s).
Restore Files on Mac Without a Software
1. Recover Deleted Files on Mac from the Trash Can
In many scenarios,’ users delete files or drag files to the trash can. It is common, and if you haven’t emptied the trash can, you can recover the data using the Put-Back option.
Also, you can drag the file(s) by opening the trash can to the desktop. So, how do you perform this process?
- Open Trash Can and drag the files to the desktop.
- Or select the file(s) you want Restore.
- Right-click and choose the Put-Back option
By doing so, you will have restored the files.
2. Use the Undo Option
Immediately you have deleted a file you can recover it using the “Undo Option.”
Here is how to use this option.
- Click on Edit on top of your screen
- Then select Undo Move
- Or select Command + Z to recover the file
3. Use the Terminal Command
The last option is to use the Terminal Command. To perform this procedure, follow these steps.
- Open Application then Utilities
- Double-tap Terminal to open it
- Now type cd. Trash and click return
- Next type mv xxx ../. XXX should be the file name you accidentally deleted. Then click return
- Finally, type Quit.
- Go to Finder and type the file name on the search bar
- The file will appear. Now select it and save it in another location.
NB: Remember, all these methods work when the files are still in the trash can. If you emptied the trash, you need to use other methods.
4. Using Time Machine
The Time Machine must be enabled before. You cannot use it after permanently deleting files.
Time machine backups every file and folder in Mac. Therefore, when you deleted a file and emptied the trash can. You can use it to restore the data.
How does Time Machine work?
- Go to applications or click spotlight and type “Time Machine” to open this tool
- Using the up and down arrows open the folder and search for the specific deleted file
- If you are not sure preview the files first
- Press Command and select the file(s) and then tap Restore
The file(s) will return to the original locations.
NB: If Time Machine is not enabled, use the following tools to recover deleted files.
Recover Deleted Files on Mac Using a Software
Emptying the trash can is not the end; you can still restore deleted files using the software. So, what are the best software to help in file recovery on Mac?
5. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
Restore permanently deleted files using EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. This software is compatible with macOS version 10.15 to 10.9.
Now download and install this tool for Mac.
- Launch the software and choose the location of the deleted files.
- Click scan
- The tool will perform a quick and deep scan
- After a few minutes, the scan report will pop-up.
- Select the files you want to restore and click Recover Now
Another powerful software for file recovery in Mac is Recoverit. Download this tool from Wondershare.
- Install and open the software
- Choose the disk where the deleted files were located
- The scan will start and wait for the final scan report
- Select the recovered files and click Restore
Data recovery on Mac is easy and fast. No need to panic when you accidentally delete a file(s). use any of the steps above to restore deleted data on Mac.
Also Read: Best Video Editor for Mac to Use in 2020